Wednesday, August 19, 2009

And So We Wait

I took EB in for her 9 month appointment yesterday. It was the standard, run of the mill wellness visit. She is maintaining her trend in percentiles (50% in length- 27 in and 25% in weight- 17 lbs). Overall, the visit went smoothly. Dr. C and I chatted about her poops, her sleep schedule and her feedings. I am still nursing the little presh-head 4-5 times a day. After discussing our patterns with Dr. C he recommended going ahead and dropping the 3 AM feeding. Logically, I know that this feeding is simply one of habit. EB can make it through the night without a feeding. And goodness knows I could use an uninterrupted night of sleep. That along with the reality that it is easier to train a 9 month old to sleep through the night than it is to train a toddler helped me make the executive decision to drop the feeding.

Only I decided to do it last night. The night before EB's 7 AM check in time at Mission's Outpatient Clinic.

And that is where I went wrong.

And the crying began around 3 AM.

And it didn't stop until I went in at 5:15 AM to feed her. That was 30 minutes before my alarm clock was to go off for our crazy morning at Mission.

So that's how my day started. Thankfully, it was not an indicator of how the rest of the morning would go. After a quick stop at the green mermaid EB and I made our way to Mission. Our check in went smoothly and we were in radiology by 7:35 AM. The ultrasound came first. I am always amazed at the ability of ultrasound techs to see vital organs on a gray screen. EB decided to be relatively cooperative even with the sticky goo smeared all over her little tummy and back.

After a brief wait we went into the x-ray room where the VCUG was performed. I was amazed at the kindness and gentleness of the nurses. It was great being in a room with such supportive people. After about 20 minutes of the procedure the radiologist had the images he needed. He gave me a quick synopsis of how it went and shared with me that the initial images do not show signs of kidney reflux. This is great news! We won't have an official diagnosis until Dr. C calls. I am expecting that call tomorrow (Thursday).

And so we wait, but we are breathing easier.

Oh, and by the way, EB took a 3 hour nap this morning and a two hour nap this afternoon. Nothing like invasive procedures at the crack of dawn to wear out a 9 month old. Thank you for your prayers over the past couple of weeks. We appreciate it!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update! Been thinking about you guys all day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that's great! Eb is such a trooper after her rough night. And I'm glad she had some recovery sleep, too. Hope your nights get better and better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is great news that she does not have the reflux! As far as dropping the feeding I know You can do it! You are wise to do it now, it will sink in with her in a few days they are fast learners and she will be so happy you did this for her when she's sleeping all night!! not to mention how happy you will be sleeping all night!

    ReplyDelete