Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Back to School



For the first time in 26 years I am not going back to school. That's right. 26 years. Normally, when August 1st rolls around I get butterflies in my stomach. My body begins rousing earlier and I start waking up throughout the night thinking about lesson plans, classroom supplies and parent letters. Not this year, though.

I must admit, I am having withdrawals. While I am glad that the pressures of preparing for school no longer rest on my shoulders I really do miss the excitement and newness of this season. And the smell of new books. And the thrill of catching up with students and hearing about their summer adventures. And buying new clothes. I definitely miss buying new clothes.

Instead of walking the aisles of Office Max and organizing my classroom I am changing diapers and pureeing baby food. I love this job, for sure. But 26 years of back to school preparation have a way of becoming a part of one's annual cycle. I am waking up earlier. When I walk through Target I find myself in the school supplies aisle. Weird, I know. But it was a crucial part of my identity for years. So I will say it: I miss school. There. It's done.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, yes! I still think of life in terms of the school year cycle. I was just thinking yesterday about how much I LOVE new school supplies, too. Before we know it, we'll be joining the hordes of cranky parents on tax-free weekend to buy crayons, glue sticks, and a tiny backpack. Can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete